.http://patreon.com/jolope

.http://patreon.com/jolope
http://patreon.com/jolope

Friday, July 31, 2015

On the Spot

I am going to put you on the spot - kinda.

I say, "kinda" because while I am addressing this to you, we aren't talking. And since we aren't talking, there is no immediate pressure to say or do anything. Actually, even while there may feel like there is pressure at all, the fact is, there isn't any. You don't have to say, or do, a thing. No response is required, requested, or guilted.

I was just wondering recently how many people (if any) read my blogs, and turn around and share them. Now, of course, not every blog post is going to be the kind of thing you would want to share. But if there was a post that you thought I had a good point, or maybe even a few, did it still just end with you?

What about the times I have talked about how even "just" $1 would help? Did you believe me? Did you consider taking any action in that direction to help me? If so, thank you. Thank you, very much. Some have quite literally sent me just $1, and it means so much to me that you truly get it. 

Do you know how many times people used to come around to me when I used to have a job, and asked me for money for this thing, or that thing? Why is it that people will ask for money for a walk or a marathon or...whatever...but can't feel ok asking for help that will directly and immediately impact a person's life? Just how much of that money raised really goes to the people who need it most, in the way they need it most? I bet it often is very little. Don't believe me? Investigate for yourself.

What about the myriad of links I have shared? Have you shared them? Have you told others outside of Facebook, or have you just counted on them seeing your posts, when most stuff is actually missed. Not only that, but many links likely go unclicked if "just" shared. It has no context, no meaning, for them. Who necessarily wants to buy recipes these days? But, maybe, just maybe if you told others that you care about me, that I am a person in need, if you offer them support for me, and a story, maybe they would see a reason to spend $5 for my recipes.

If you've read my book, and offered to share what you think, have you?

Now. Like I said above, there is nothing you need to do. If you, however, are someone who cares about me, and you know I am in need, and you know that what I have to offer in terms of things I have done, or think that I have something to offer the world in terms of who I am, then these are some ways you could do something to help me, much of which doesn't have to cost you a dime. Granted, time can be fairly expensive, but is once a week, or even once a month too much to ask of someone who says they care about me?

Only those who care about me get to decide their own answers to these questions. I will say this, though, it is one thing for those who are realitively healthy to live their lives, thinking others are, too, but it is quite another when you are aware of someone who has a need, and is treated in a similar manner as those who do not. It just is not the same.

There are so many reasons that people do/don't do what they do/don't do. I hear all these arguments in my head. I get it. But when will we collectively stop making excuses for not helping the homeless, the sick, the disenfranchised, those who can't in some way take care of themselves and start finding reasons to make an effort to help them?

Since I spent much of this blog post talking about me, it may be very easy to think this is ALL about me, but it is not. When I write things along these lines, I think about all of the people who are going hungry, who are on the streets, are in shelters, who are overwhelmed financially, who can't pay their bills. I think about the countless stories of others dealing with cancer, and losing their electricity, or even worse, their homes.

Yes. I want and need help. There is no question about that. There are times I wish I could find a way to help others, too. I think about this stuff, often. My heart has wanted to help people for a long time, I just haven't known how to. Even last night I wondered if there was anything I could do/create. I just really wish I was well right now. It is so hard to just get out of bed most days.

Will I get a chance to make a difference before my timer goes off? I certainly hope so. Maybe you feel the same way. If you have your health, if you have any income at all, consider that you might be able to do more than you think you can. I have made a point to give $1 here and there to others in need. If I can do it, you can, too. (And I do NOT mean just in regard to me).

The question might not so much be if you can do something, as much as...are you willing?

If you are willing, please share about me and my work as often as you can. Regularly would be awesome. If you are not, should you ever have a change of heart, your support would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

And if you read through this all, knowing that it might be uncomfortable, thank you. It may not change a thing, but I appreciate your open mind, and willingness to see where I was headed, and your time.

Ps If you'd like to subscribe to my posts, just enter your email address at this link http://feeds.feedburner.com/blogspot/VVPeD or here https://feedburner.google.com/fb/a/mailverify?uri=blogspot/VVPeD

Want to know more about me?
http://anewme515.blogspot.com/2013/01/about-this-blog.html

No comments:

Post a Comment