.http://patreon.com/jolope

.http://patreon.com/jolope
http://patreon.com/jolope

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Thinking About Stuff (at least trying to)

"Be happy with who you are and what you do, and you can do anything you want." Steve Maraboli

I read this quote and thought about how someone once quoted me on a blog who did not understand the intent of what I said. I also thought about how difficult it is to cover every base when speaking. It is not only difficult, but often near impossible. There are many times I say something, and I can hear a contingent "yeah, butting" what I said.

I think part of the difficulty is that things said are often taken as Universal Statements of Perceived Truth.

Once interpreted that way they can be used as blanket fixes and perspective for anyone's issues.

I don't know who Steve is. Perhaps I should find out. Has he ever dealt with cancer? Has he ever felt like sh*t day after day? If so, does he put a happy face on it, and just keep going - because attitude is everything?

To be fair-ish, I just went to find info about him. There is praise galore. I see nothing, however, about any personal obstacles, but rather just how he can help you get out of your own way.

If he can truly deliver, great. But where I have a question is in cases in which a certain range of "normal" is not possible. For people in some situations, there is no way they can do "whatever they want." And hearing that can be quite painful, for a number of reasons.

And I am not sure I am "just" talking about the more obvious/extreme situations. Can we really do whatever we want?

I think it can be problematic to believe that because when we can't do it then we apparently didn't do "it" right, or we did something wrong. Something is lacking, or missing. We are defective in some way.

Why do we believe we can do whatever we want? Does it give us hope? 

What if some things just are what they are? What if our life and circumstances are "supposed" to be a certain way others perceive as bad or lacking in some way? And, even if we can have a peace around what is, it doesn't make the impossible suddenly possible.

Perhaps perceptions can change, and that would seem potentially to alter the circumstances, but they did not really change at all. And maybe those are the times and places that "magic" can really happen. We do have a lot of those.

But some realities are not just perspective, and a shift just ain't gonna change things in such a way that "anything" becomes possible. And that goes for all kinds of people and circumstances. 

Is it really in our best interest to think we can do anything we want? I suppose it could motivate us, and give us something to aspire to. But, on the other hand, I think it can also potentially cause issues if we don't get to where we want to go.

I could tell you something wonderful awaits you in Alaska, and the only way you will get it is to get there. If you are physically limited, and don't have the means to get there, it doesn't matter if anything is there, or not. You can want it with every part of you, but it just ain't gonna happen.

Perhaps even the focus on wanting to do what you can't takes away from what you could have. And perhaps there are times you "just know" that what you are doing is right - even when things don't seem to be turning out.

Maybe the key for some is in believing anything is possible, but I can't help but wonder if there is any key at all. I wonder if there are times that instead of living life we spend our energy trying to figure it out while trying to find ways to make it work the way we think it is supposed to.

If that is what we are doing, are we missing the point?

I have been working in this post a while, and am feeling crappy. Hopefully it makes some sort of sense, as I am going to publish it "as is."

Cya.

Ps If you'd like to subscribe to my posts, just enter your email address at this link http://feeds.feedburner.com/blogspot/VVPeD or here https://feedburner.google.com/fb/a/mailverify?uri=blogspot/VVPeD

Want to know more about me?
http://anewme515.blogspot.com/2013/01/about-this-blog.html

No comments:

Post a Comment