.http://patreon.com/jolope

.http://patreon.com/jolope
http://patreon.com/jolope

Friday, October 2, 2015

They Do it Any Way

I once worked for a company that was financially struggling. Because I knew that they were, I asked them to please give me some warning if they weren't going to need me any more. It seemed to me a reasonable request.

After a long Labor Day weekend, I had just bought my monthly commuter ticket, and went to the office, like I always did. The ticket, by the way, not cheap, but worth it travelling into NYC as much as I did.

Well. I get into the office only to be told, "Effective immediately, we don't need you any more." Given I was technically freelance, there was no severance, no Unemployment. No nada.

And I just paid for the damn monthly ticket I no longer needed. Although they did tell me I was welcome to use the office, if I needed to/wanted to. 

I gave it a few days, and then decided to go in. The date? September 11. 2001. I never made it. I don't think I even made it into the city again that month.

I was sharing this because I recently heard of a number of people who came back from hiatus only to find themseles unemployed. Why do companies - which are made up of freaking people - do these kinds of things? No one would want this done to them, and yet they seem to think nothing of doing it any way.

This wasn't the only time something like this happened to me. Interesting how I always heard that I should treat "companies" right, but they could treat me any which way they wanted to.

There were a few things I missed here and there about having a JOB, but that lack of mutual respect certainly wasn't one of them.


6 comments:

  1. Skilixir Marine Collagen is a very beneficial powder in our health if you are using continues collagen powder so,
    improve your skin and storing your body and health and researching also told if you are taking collagen powder and automatically increase your body level
    and etc. International searching also collagen drink india providing collagen powder. International lab also doing
    same thing and lots of research how to work collagen powder so basically collagen is portion and Accounting to research collagen powder is very healthfully
    quick response given collage powder in our body in our health there are lots of types of Collagen India collage powder in available in market like collage powder and collagen drink.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is the best website for all of us. it provides all types of software and apps which we need. you can visit this website. https://shahzifpc.com/

    ReplyDelete