.http://patreon.com/jolope

.http://patreon.com/jolope
http://patreon.com/jolope

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

An Observation

Lately I have spent more time on Facebook than I used to.

In some ways it is inspirational.  There is a lot of good
stuff there.

At the same time, in the past couple of weeks I have noticed
people posting things that are to the effect of "post this if
you know someone who is fighting cancer."

While I get that the intentions are likely good, there was
at least one that attempted to shame others into reposting
the graphic.

I have to wonder just how many of the people who create
and post these things have actually had cancer.  I wonder
because as someone that has become more intimately aware
of it myself, I find those types of things to be questionable.

I say questionable, because I am not sure what other word
to use.  I think for me - someone who values actions more
than words - seeing those types of postings leave me with
a reaction of "yeah? so?"  What good does that do?

Perhaps I am missing something...but I think that those
who don't have a clue probably are, too.  My whole
conversation around cancer changed the day I found out
that it came to visit me.

I decided I wasn't going to capitalize it.

I decided I wasn't going to go to war with it.

I decided that chemo needed to be a friend and not an enemy.

I decided that when I spoke of cancer, it would be to say
I was DIAGNOSED with it, but I wasn't going to claim it
by saying I HAVE it.

I am sure there are other things, too...but those are the few
things that come to mind at the moment.  Talking about
cancer is not the same thing as interacting with it personally.

I doubt anyone would disagree with me, and at the same
time there is a world of difference between the me that was
aware of it before and the me that is aware of it now.  In
many ways it is one more thing in my life that I can now
relate to in a much more intimate way because of my
experience.

I can't help but wonder how others who have had this
experience relate to the rest of the world after their diagnosis.
For me things certainly look and feel different.

If you truly think posting one of those things on Facebook
is helpful, then by all means do it.  At the same time, if you
are shamed into it, or you are not really sure how it helps,
perhaps take a step back and ask yourself if it is truly worth
sharing.  If you really want to make a difference, perhaps
consider contacting the person you are thinking of, and see
how s/he is doing.  Perhaps consider contacting someone
that you care about and give them your love via your time
and intention.  If you were to post it, thinking of me, I know
that actual contact would be MY preference.

Facebook and social media has its place...but if it takes the
place of actual contact then perhaps it does no one any real
good.  Before anyone jumps on me, please notice I said,
"perhaps."

It is amazing to me how different things are when your
perspective changes from observer to participant, and even
more amazing how easy it is to forget the lesson of the
perspective - until the next time sides change.  There
are some sides I would never want to be on - including
the one I am on now.  The thing is, though, often it seems
we don't get to choose WHICH side we are on, but it would
seem we get to choose HOW we play the side.

Speaking of playing...

Until next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment