.http://patreon.com/jolope

.http://patreon.com/jolope
http://patreon.com/jolope

Sunday, February 22, 2015

Too Long to Read

I just saw a posting that was more than a couple of paragraphs. People commented on how it was "too long to read." Someone joked they were 16 when they started to read it, 61 when they finished it. (It wasn't THAT long...the most they could have been was 35! :p)

I see things like this, and am reminded how many times people have made comments about the length of my writing. I have even been told that the length means I am not respecting people's time.

On the other side of things, though, there are those who will actually take the time to read something of mine, and find themselves drawn in, and appreciative of what they have read.

Often there is usually a minimum of 2 sides or opinions on things. A minimum. Which side is "right" is determined by the side one is standing on as they cast their opinions on to others.

I can't write for all people, and I won't even try. Will everyone read what I write? No. Will everyone want to? I don't even care.

Of course of those things *I* consider important, would I like for people to take the time to pay attention, consider my words, and potentially alter their path? Absolutely. Who doesn't?

I have always been a person who likes to read. I have been an avid reader most of my life. I have owned countless books. I have spent the equivalent of months - maybe years - lost in them. 

I have never minded reading something at length, if it was a topic that interested me. I sometimes wonder if people can read longer things, if the topic is of interest, or if in general short attention spans are even changing that.

For as much as I wish we could communicate things in just a few words, many times it takes more to truly convey a message. Many times the brevity of a thought only winds up complicating things, and causes more tension and argument. It can also have the potential to lead to shallow assessments and determinations.

This is not to say Long Form is better, as even in Long Form there are issues. However, I think we might just losing sight of some of the value of alternatives by relating brevity to value in some way. 

Perhaps things can be edited, and their length shortened. However, sometimes it is just better to get something out in a less than ideal form than to not get it out at all. For many, the pursit of perfect will inhibit their ability to do or say much of anything.

I don't know about you, but I think the best indicator I have for things in life is my gut. Logic and gut do not always agree. Logic could say something would not be of  interest, but gut would pull me in any way. Turns out it is often a good thing I did not listen solely to logic's reasoning.

I think/believe in the world in which we live we need more of our gut helping to help us make determinations. When we listen to logic, and logic gets overwhelmed, we shut down, or are too quick to make choices that won't always serve us, or those around us.

I often think if we used our gut we would know who to help, and when to help. We would know what to do, and when to do it. We wouldn't need others telling us which criteria to live our lives by. 

We would feel a lot less conflicted. A lot less torn. Guilty. Angry. At least, that has been my experience. I am more internally peaceful when I am listening to my gut. It isn't always easy, and there is sometimes a lot of outside feedback that isn't always welcome or valuable, but it is always gonna be there in some form or fashion, any way (that 2 opinion/side thing). The difference is I am less likely to be battling myself, too.

Ps if you find my work interesting/helpful, please become a patron. You can do it for as little as $1 per month. It will help me help myself financially survive desking with cancer. You may not think it much, but it can make a huge difference. Pretty please? Patreon.com/jolope

No comments:

Post a Comment