.http://patreon.com/jolope

.http://patreon.com/jolope
http://patreon.com/jolope

Sunday, November 16, 2014

A Few Thoughts from My Wandering Mind

I know it is early, but something told me to listen to Christmas music today. I have been listening to a Pandora station that has been playing a lot of real oldies. The songs are ones my grandparents used to listen to. Growing up with them, the songs became a part of my "Christmas Experience."

Now that I am older, and my grandparents are long gone, the music is a way of transporting myself back to a more innocent time. I'd like to say it was a "better" time, too, but Christmas wasn't magical for long, as I was an "adult" long before my age on my birth certificate said I was. I often shopped for my own presents, and even wrapped them.

Even still, as a young adult, I did my best to get into it, and tried to be creative in my gift giving. I hated receiving a gift just to receive one, so I tried to find ways to create unique gifts. The irony, perhaps, is that I am not sure it was ever really appreciated, as I have always looked at things much differently than most I know.

This is not to say the gifts weren't appreciated, by the way. I am speculating, based on bits that I know, but I still leave space open for being wrong. It doesn't really matter, though, as I did it because I wanted to, and enjoyed it. Of course, I would have liked for them to have been appreciated, but you just never know, do you?

One other thing that occurs to me as I am listening to these older songs is that they sound so innocent and fun and sweet. Was the time they were written different than our time? Or is it that they superficially created something that had nothing to do with what really was? After all, appearances were everything back then. I suppose the innocence I think I hear could also just be a relationship my inner child has to the music, too.

As with many things, it is hard to know THE truth.




No comments:

Post a Comment