.http://patreon.com/jolope

.http://patreon.com/jolope
http://patreon.com/jolope

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Ugh.

I am starting to see this post on Facebook, a lot:

Some thoughts as we enter the holiday season... It is important to remember that not everyone is surrounded by large wonderful families. Some of us have problems during the holidays and some of us are overcome with great sadness when we remember the loved ones who are not with us. And many people have no one to spend these times with and are besieged by loneliness. We all need caring, loving thoughts right now. If I don't see your name I will understand. May I ask my friends, wherever you might be, to kindly copy, paste and post this status for one hour to give a moment of support for all those who have family problems, health struggles, job issues, worries of any kind and just need to know someone cares. Do it for all of us, for nobody is immune. I hope to see this on the walls of all my friends just for moral support. I know someone will! I did it for a friend and you can too!! (You have to copy and paste this one, NO SHARING... Thank you!

I read it to a friend who is having issues that has her be able to relate to me, and my situation. Her response was similar to mine. Yuck.

How does that as a post do a damn thing for someone who may not have a good situation? 

There have been posts that are "support" for those who are dealing with cancer, and some have said they are appreciated, so my opinion certainly is not universal.

However, I often think "good thoughts" are more for the thinker than the one the thoughts are supposedly about. If you really want to make a difference for someone, consider doing something more than copying a bunch of words and putting it on your profile. Even those who say they appreciate the words might also appreciate the extra effort you make to do something to truly impact them or their situation.  

I wonder if I am being too blunt, or harsh. At the same time, if you are ever the one referred to in cases like this - and are in true need of more than just "good thoughts" - you might have a greater appreciation for my perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment