.http://patreon.com/jolope

.http://patreon.com/jolope
http://patreon.com/jolope

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Holding on or Letting go

Last night I did a new video.  I will post
it at some point.  I took the picture to the
left last night as well.  I was really tired,
can you tell?

**

I just saw a quote that I can not find any
attribution for.  If someone should be
credited that you know of, please let me know.


The quote is:


If you're lucky enough to find someone who makes you feel special, don't ever take them for granted. Stick with them, fight for them, and never let them go.


I can see why someone might say this.  At the same time, I find
myself thinking about how many people have come and gone in
my life.  And I think about about how there are some who will
say that we aren't necessarily meant to stay in relationships for a
lifetime.  

Just because someone makes you feel special, does that mean 
that you should never let them go?  What if there was someone
who made you feel special, but there was some reason you 
needed to part ways?  Holding on for dear life may not be the
thing you need to do.  It actually could be counter to something
that makes you feel good, or is productive, or even "healthy."

I say this as I think about times I did hold on to someone 
possibly a bit longer than I should have, and maybe in some
cases, much too long.  But how does one truly know when 
enough is enough?  I know of cases in which the holding 
on is exactly what was needed.

I would imagine the way to tell is just when you know, you know,
and the key would be to let it go, if that is what feels right, even
as you are wanting the feeling to be wrong.

I suspect it is human nature to want to hold on to people and 
things.  They are familiar, and in their familiarity there is comfort.
Even when the situation creates a discomfort, there is something
comforting about what we know.

I get what the quote says, though, and the most important thing,
I would think, is to acknowledge and cherish what you have
in this moment.  When you cherish what you have in the moment,
you will always have the wonder and "juice" of that moment, even
if things change and that person or thing is no longer available.

When you appreciate what you have, you take care of it.  You
nurture it.  You do all that you can to protect it.  But protecting
something isn't the same thing as holding on to it.  Sometimes 
we have to let someone or something go to make way for 
something or someone else.  

I know it sometimes sucks.

I know it sometimes makes no sense.

I know it sometimes frustrates and infuriates.

Boy do I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment