.http://patreon.com/jolope

.http://patreon.com/jolope
http://patreon.com/jolope

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Spades Hearts and Lessons of Creativity

In a past entry, I was talking about spades.

It occurred to me that spades were upside
down hearts that have a spout attached.
As a result, I decided to create something
with the upside down spade.

The result is this image.



As I was creating it a few things happened that I thought were interesting.

The first thing was the skeleton that I created on the computer.  I created an
outline, and then intended to print it.  When I went to print it, it came out
off center.  I thought about leaving it, but then reconsidered, and when I
tried to print it again, it printed on the same side of the first printing.  As a
result, I took it as a sign that I should just leave it off center.  It made some
sense, too, as the top part, which is another spade/heart is only there in a
partial form.  It all feeds the title of the work ("there's always more").

I was also thinking as I was working on the image about how there are
things that happen in the process of creation that I could not have predicted,
and being willing to experiment, and work with the "mistakes" is what often
creates some of the nicest/coolest effects.  In addition, it occurred to me that
those who have to draw within the lines would have been really uncomfortable
with some of the additions I added outside of the skeleton.

I thought about those who would be perfectionists and thought about how
I have approached things in the past.  Some would say perfectionism isn't
a "good" thing.  If I was going to entertain a current day conversation with
someone who considered themselves one, I might ask them if it "worked
for" them.  I would ask them if they were OK with being that way.

I would then ask if it was really them who believed their answer, or if it
was something someone else had determined for them.  So often what we
think we believe is really something someone else taught or determined
for us.

The more I think about things, the more I wonder if how things are is how
things are.  I wonder if it is OK to be a certain way, despite what others
might say or believe.  I wonder if our difficulty with being who and how
we are is the conflict of who we are vs who and how others think we
should be.

The "problem" with this way of thinking is how does one know when there
is a problem to be fixed?  If we can get to know who we truly are, and love
who we truly are, then maybe we will change, but maybe we won't.  And
maybe those are the keys to knowing when something might need to shift:
self awareness and self love.

Lastly, as I was doing my thing on Photoshop, I got ahead of myself and
did not save what I had done.  I so hate when that happens, as I don't
always (and, actually, quite rarely) know how to recreate my creations.
However, as often is the case, I found that what I created the second time
was possibly better than the first.  So I guess what I see in that is that
sometimes things don't always work out the way we want them to, but
sometimes even better.  And sometimes "even better" means we may need
to once again start from the beginning.

Smile.  I guess that is when patience pays off in spades.

I have to say I really do like this image.

Maybe you will, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment