.http://patreon.com/jolope

.http://patreon.com/jolope
http://patreon.com/jolope

Sunday, October 28, 2012

The Beauty of Self Perception?


Have you ever heard of Photofunia?  They have some awesome, fun effects that you can play with  when it comes to your images.  I rediscovered them today when I was looking at photo apps for my iPad.

The above image is one that I took about 6 or 7 years ago.  I thought it might be a fun one to get the "Warhol" effect.  

In the last few days I have revisited different images of myself.  I have done this in part as a way to try to come to some peace around my self perception.

I had written previously about how I have viewed myself in life, and how there were seeds planted a long time ago that have me uncomfortable viewing myself attractive, even when I think I am.   When I posted the picture of me without a wig, I got several compliments about how "beautiful" I am.  

It brought me nearly to tears.

I also was recently telling someone about how I have been taking a lot of pictures of me and how I kinda felt funny about it.  At the same time, I felt like it was in some way a record of things as well as a way for me to say to the Universe, "I AM HERE.  Look at me.  Look at this.  I AM HERE."

I know that there are things rumbling around in my unconscious that have me at odds with myself. I just don't know exactly what they are.  As I think about the possibilities, I suspect there are elements of other things from my childhood that have gotten into the mix.  

I have been told that extra weight is a form of "protection."  And if I feel unconsciously like extra weight is unattractive, then perhaps there is a part of me that thinks that I am somehow protected from being hurt as no one would be interested in me or pay attention to me.  And yet, here people are telling me that I am not only attractive, but "beautiful."  

*I* can't be beautiful!  That is for other people.  

And yet, it would seem I am.

As I write this, I feel TERRIFIED.

I am also crying.  

I guess I hit onto something.

If I am beautiful, then people will pay attention to me.  There goes me being invisible.

If I am beautiful, and people pay attention to me, and I am no longer invisible, it would seem I would be more vulnerable.  If I am invisible, then I can't get into any trouble or difficulty, can I?  Or so, the seeming logic may dictate.

If that is the dynamic, or even part of it, I could see why I might feel as scared as I am.  

I am definitely going to have to explore this more.  

Such a tightness in my chest as I say that.

Wow.  Such terror.

No comments:

Post a Comment