.http://patreon.com/jolope

.http://patreon.com/jolope
http://patreon.com/jolope

Friday, October 19, 2012

Pet Scan Adventures

**This was written this week, the night that I had my pet scan.**

I was told that 24 hours before my prep I needed to refrain from eating any carbs or sugars.  At 6 hours pre scan, I needed to drink only water, and not eat at all.

My port can be used for many things, but not for a pet scan.  That means someone needed to start an IV.  I was sent to Infusion, which is where the nurses who give me chemo are.   The last time they needed to do an IV, I was poked several times, which made them feel badly for me.   They kept apologizing.  For that reason,  as I returned there tonight, I was feeling badly for them.

Since it has been several weeks since getting the port, the hope was my veins would cooperate.  Well, "the stick" couldn't have been easier.  I was grateful for several reasons, not the least of which is that my veins have recovered or, at the very least, are recovering.

When I arrived tonight, I was hungry.  I am only getting hungrier as I sit here, and "bake."  After checking my blood sugar, which was defined as "perfect," I was injected with the radioactive stuff that came in a scary looking container that apparently is pretty heavy.  (How wonderful to think it is that scary and needs that much protection, and it gets to go inside me.)  It needs to work its way through my body for an hour.   I was told I wouldn't feel any different than I did at the moment of injection after the injection.

I guess that doesn't include feeling kinda light headed from not eating much the last two days, with my last meal at 1:00 today, and it now being 7:30 in the evening.

Once the hour is up, I will have a full body scan.  Even though it really isn't full body.  It will be from my knees up to my nose.  And that will mean laying still for approximately 45 minutes, with my hands over my head.  

As I stew, I am in a nice room with a comfy chair.  When I look up at the ceiling, I see two panels like this:



I could watch TV, if I wanted to.  Instead, I am sitting here, writing.  I figure while I am calm and clear I would chronicle this event.  I don't know how things will be tomorrow.  Fingers crossed it is good news.  

Fingers. Toes. Eyes.



I am really tired.  I haven't been sleeping well this week.  Guessing there has been a thing, or two, on my mind.  I also got up early this morning.  Apparently I can't move with the scan, but I can do anything else that doesn't involve moving.  :p

I am wondering if I go to sleep if I would wind up moving.  I really feel like I could sleep.  I certainly wouldn't mind sleep.

**

When I got into the room, I was told to remove all metal.  I had seen something about that online, so I was mostly prepared.  But I had forgotten about my bra. Had I thought about it, I would have worn a wireless one.

After I removed my glasses, jewelry, and bra, I laid down on a table that didn't look more than a foot wide (the equipment looked something like this).  I was going to listen to some music, as I was originally told it would take 45 minutes, but then the tech said it would only be 20, so I decided to just enjoy laying there without.

The tech told me to put my arms over my head and explained that there would be a couple of quick first scans, and then the table would move every 2-3 minutes.  It was odd, as I mostly had my eyes closed, and there were times I would almost feel like I was moving - when I was not.  Other times I was trying to play a game to see if I could anticipate the move.  (I didn't do too well, lol)

Since the scan was pretty late in the day, they offered me dinner before I left.  That was unexpected, but quite awesome.  I was incredibly hungry at that point.  The facility I go to does such a great job in so many ways of taking care of those in my position, and those who are caretakers.  There are times I am really clear that I made the right choice.

**

The second piece above was written as I was on my way to the facility.  I will get my results today.  In 2 hours, to be exact.  Still have everything crossed, so it was a bit difficult, lol.

**

No comments:

Post a Comment