.http://patreon.com/jolope

.http://patreon.com/jolope
http://patreon.com/jolope

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Day 15: LaKisha Mitchell



30 Days. 30 Causes. 30 Dollars. Today I have chosen someone who has come to my attention through Mandisa. I am not sure how I came to Mandisa's website, but when I got there I saw a video called Overcomer (see below). She says the song was inspired by a friend, LaKisha Mitchell, whose fundraising page she links to.



LaKisha, or Kisha, as Mandisa knows her, was diagnosed with breast cancer around the same time she was pregnant with her second child. When I looked at her fundraising page, she has seemingly raised only a small portion of what she is asking for ($25,000). I can't help but wonder if there may be some who think that Mandisa will help her and choose not to help. For all anyone knows, she receives much of what she needs "behind the scenes."

The thing is, though, the page is there. The request is there. It would seem a need is there. All kinds of assumptions can be made, while she and her family try to cope with the repercussions of her diagnosis and treatment. I tend to think that if there wasn't a need there wouldn't be a page. I also tend to think that even if I am "wrong" about the need, what is a $1? We can question everything and everyone and do nothing, or we can take risks and try to help out another in need. I think so often we think someone is taken care of so we do nothing. And while everyone is busy assuming something is being done, nothing is.

I think we are in big trouble if we shut ourselves down totally to those who we do not know personally. It is that type of connection that can make a big difference...sometimes bigger than the one that can be made by those closest to us.

If you are seeing this, consider there may be a reason, and please consider helping.

**

(The rest of this entry is a repeat from a previous one.)

If you don't know me, you may not know that I am really in no position to be spending my money on others. I am running out myself after having dealt with cancer since last May. I began this #303030 as a way of living into the idea that each and every $1 matters. I have often said it, but up until this past year, I was not likely to be one to help another, even with a $1. It wasn't that I didn't want to, but often I would be concerned how I would look (cheap?), or think that somehow the recipient might think that it didn't mean anything, or I would intend to do it later, which never came.

I decided to change that. I had to change it. So often I will see those in great need echo my words. They, too, know the value of the little things adding up. It is those who have never had that great need who would likely question the value of what would seem a minor contribution.

It really does mean something to someone who really is struggling. I guarantee it. Not sure if they are legit, or not? It is a valid question. At the same time, if it is "only" $1 to you, then does it really matter if they're not?

I keep telling people to feel free to reference me if they are looking to raise funds. I really don't mind. Part of my reason for doing this is to show people that if I can do it, they can, too. Even if it was one person, $1, over 12 months, it is making a difference in 12 people's lives in ways you could only possibly imagine.

I really do wonder in the super-sized world we live in if we think small enough often enough.

**

Want to take my idea a step further? Share this concept with others. Imagine what an incredible difference it would make in the world if one day each and every person took a dollar and gave it to someone in need. The thought, quite frankly, blows my mind. In the best possible way of course. I wonder if there would be some way to start that movement. Anyone got any ideas?

Even if not, the $1 you contribute still does matter.


Contact Me (Elizabeth Alraune)
Read My Story
View My Vlogs
About this Blog - Click Here
Read about where things are currently
Would you like to be a guest blogger?

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful ideas. I haven't seen anyone do this before on their blog. Thank you for sharing and doing this great work

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most people waste a $1 a day and yet I am not surprised how insignificant people think a dollar is these days.

    I come from a background of abuse, where I was beaten in the middle of an intersection - dragged from my car, hit over the face, head and body parts while onlookers watched and did nothing.

    It surprises me not that people won't fork over a single buck for a stranger. I've lived it and it's a shame that it happens!

    Good luck in your quest to make this a better world.

    ReplyDelete