.http://patreon.com/jolope

.http://patreon.com/jolope
http://patreon.com/jolope

Saturday, September 21, 2013

Separated from our Humanity (Video)

I saw this Louis CK video first



and then I saw this one:



Both were profound. One thing that they shared was a perspective about how when we truly interact and connect we are more empathic. They express how "easy" it seems to be to say something about another in their absence.

There are many other things that were said that are worth the time spent to watch. In a world in which technology has the ability to bring us closer than we have ever been, it seems it also has the ability to separate us from our humanity. We interact with a "thing" instead of a person. And since things have no feelings, we receive no feedback that may have us question how we do and say what we do and say.

I was thinking about this in relation to what is going on in our society in regard to many things, and in particular in regard to cancer. As long as people keep their distance from what someone is dealing with, they don't have to deal with it. If they get more familiar with it, if it becomes more personal, it has the potential and ability to alter how they interact with it, and those who are dealing with it.

It makes me want to be even more proactive in the world in regard to getting the message out. Many times I do feel like I am standing alone, and very few are listening or paying attention. I don't blame anyone, really. I was once them. But I suspect that if we could relate more to each other than to the idea of another, perhaps we would interact differently than we do now.

It is what I will work toward as long as I have the ability to do it. Hopefully I will be around for a while and able to make a difference in the process.

Days like this make me feel like there is a reason I am still here. Now if I could just figure out how to make some money, it would help. A lot. I can't continue to extend my limited energies and not be able to pay bills. It just can't work.



Contact Me (Elizabeth Alraune)
Read My Story
View My Vlogs
About this Blog - Click Here
Read about where things are currently
Would you like to be a guest blogger?

6 comments:

  1. I wish you well on your journey with overcoming the life challenges that cancer brings! Until people have experienced cancer (or many other life threatening diseases) within their own family it's easy to block it out. Even once we do have a personal link to something so terrible, the desire is still there to shut ourselves away from the pain, which I really do believe is a built in survival mechanism. If we could really truly empathize (not sympathize) with every person facing a major life challenge, the pain and emotion of it would be over powering and crippling.

    I sincerely hope that you're able to get back on your feet soon and continue to make a difference in the way people understand cancer and what "life after treatment" really looks like for many people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is much to the experience of cancer...not just pain.But because of the pain, or the fear of the pain, many times most everything about it is ignored. I understand what you've said, but I think there is all too often all or nothing approach to the topic. I think there is a world of middle ground that can be more fully explored. And that goes for any difficult topic, not just cancer. An awareness of the problem does not have to mean an absorption of it. Many people do not have a clue about what many go through. Even a bit of an understanding might be of a greater benefit to us all. Having said that, we all have our own roads to travel, and if we are presented with something, we have the right to choose our response to it. It is different though when there is no awareness first. I strive to bring the awareness. What does or does not come next is up to the person who receives it. Thanks for coming by.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing these messages.
    By God's grace alone,
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Because I am 60 years old, I can remember when things were even (believe it or not) worse - when people with cancer couldn't even mention they had cancer, or friends would run away, and people would be afraid to touch you. I have two friends fighting cancer right now. I don't know personally what it is like to develop mouth sores and not want to eat, to have skin so paper thin that it cuts and bleeds just by moving, or to undergo a chemo which plays with your memory-and you are aware of those memory deficits. What I hope to do is make it easy for them to talk to me - IF they choose. Or not talk. That's OK too. I want them to lead and let me know what kind of support is right for them at that moment. I hope my approach is the right one, for each of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments. I cannot imagine having to hide my situation. The little I did in the beginning was very difficult. I respect wherever a person is, as we all need to be where we are. I acknowledge and appreciate your willingness to be there for your friends. At least you are willing to be "in it." Having said that, I also respect your ability to make other choices. It would seem to me your friends are fortunate to have you...hopefully they see it that way, too. Thanks for sharing the love and understanding.

      Delete