.http://patreon.com/jolope

.http://patreon.com/jolope
http://patreon.com/jolope

Thursday, September 19, 2013

Recipe: Make Your Own Chocolate Covered Bananas

There is a chocolate coating you can buy to cover bananas with. I don't know what is in it, but I suspect it isn't nearly as healthy as what you can make yourself.

I thought I would share a recipe for it as it really is pretty simple and quite yummy.

I use a brand of chocolate chip without soy lecithin in it. If you pay attention, you will notice many things have that ingredient in them these days. If you look online you will also find a number of opinions that express why it isn't the best ingredient. Whether or not it is, I won't dispute, but I figure the simpler the ingredients are, the better. I think if there is a wrong to get to when it comes to comes to some things, the simpler you go, the less likely you are to get there.

The original recipe called for butter. But coconut oil is a healthy addition to my diet, per my doctor, so I thought I would try it instead. Apparently it isn't in the best interest of some with certain blood types, so I guess you need to decide for yourself what works. However if coconut oil works for you, I highly recommend you go for it.

I always keep frozen bananas. They make good "ice cream" when I want some. So when the mood strikes me for the chocolate covered ones, I am good to go. You will want bananas peeled and frozen at least a few hours before dipping them in the chocolate.

You will want to melt the chocolate in a double boiler. If you don't have one, just stick a smaller pot in a bigger one with water in the bottom. Mix in the butter or oil, and stir til melted.

The original recipe called for more chocolate per banana. I imagine it would work well for a large banana, or if you want a really thick coating. However, the amount below can work nicely if the banana is about 6" or smaller.

Next time I will try to take a picture. I wanted to share while I was thinking about it/able to. So often the "excuse" we have not to do things is "no time." I imagine it takes no longer to do the bananas this way than it does with the package, and better yet it will be better for you.

Enjoy.

For each banana you will need:
1/2T coconut oil (or butter)
1/4c melted chocolate chips (or similar)

You can add nuts or sprinkles or other things, and it is recommended that they go back into the freezer for an hour or so to firm up. I have not tried the toppings. The chocolate only version is ready to eat right away. The cold of the banana hardens the chocolate almost immediately.


Contact Me (Elizabeth Alraune)
Read My Story
View My Vlogs
About this Blog - Click Here
Read about where things are currently
Would you like to be a guest blogger?

2 comments: