.http://patreon.com/jolope

.http://patreon.com/jolope
http://patreon.com/jolope

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Gluten Free Chocolate Bread (Recipe)

I made a new recipe yesterday. I seem to be wanting to cook / bake up a storm lately. It is a challenge. Sometimes the choice is to stay in bed or do that.

Sometimes staying in bed wins, depending on how much of an effort and mess the recipe will require. The good thing is when I make something that isn't going to be eaten completely as soon as it is finished cooking.

I wonder how many people realize what goes into making a meal, given how many packaged goods there are. Boiling water for those who utilize those goods is likely the extent of their cooking abilities.

For a long time I have appreciated making things from scratch. I have no idea why, but I have. One year I made Thanksgiving dinner. Everything but the stuffing was from scratch. I had to have Stove Top, as it was a piece of my childhood holidays. At some point I really must make some from scratch, maybe even from my homemade sourdough bread. Hmmm. Anyone have a good recipe to share?

I suppose I could be doing other things, but for some reason, this is feeling like the right thing to do - for now, at least. There was another time in my life I spent a great deal of time in the kitchen and I think it was, among other things, an escape and a comfort for me. Perhaps it is a bit of both now, too.

The bread I made was quite sense/thick. I imagine if it wasn't gluten free, and had more sugar and/or other amendments, it would come out quite differently. But it is, after all, a bread and not a cake. Despite that fact, I decided to "ice" the top with some melted chocolate chips.

Perhaps my share will inspire you to make your own spectacular version.

1/2 c butter, softened
1/2 c sugar
2 eggs
1 c plain Greek Yogurt
1 3/4 c gluten free flour
1/2 c cocoa powder
1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1 c organic chocolate chips/pieces

Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and yogurt. Beat til smooth and creamy. Add dry ingredients, til combined, then add chocolate chips. Place in well greased loaf pan. Bake 55 minutes at 350 (use toothpick test). Let rest in bread pan for 20-30 minutes before removing. If you like, pour some chocolate chips on top, and spread like icing as they melt. When it cools, the chocolate will be solid.

Last, but not least, enjoy.




No comments:

Post a Comment