.http://patreon.com/jolope

.http://patreon.com/jolope
http://patreon.com/jolope

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

IndieGoGo?

Today it was suggested to me that I use Kickstarter to help me help myself and get my book written. Since so many people over time have asked about one, I know there is a reason I need to write one.

I looked at Kickstarter and saw that they have conditions on projects that I would not be able to meet. And there is a piece to the puzzle that I would like to add (a percentage of the sales would go to the Cancer Support Foundation) that is not allowed on Kickstarter.

Indiegogo was suggested as an alternative that is more flexible. I like what they offer. As long as I meet my goal, they only take 4% of what comes in. That seems more than reasonable. If I don't make my goal, they take 9% - if I want to keep any of the money pledged.

The way I am looking at it, I think I will go for all or nothing. In a previous blog I talked about this "crazy" plot idea that would revolve around someone's life being dependent on the support of a vote. If that person didn't get enough support, there would be no life to live.

While that likely would never happen - and I certainly hope that it never would - I got to thinking about what you can make happen when you HAVE to make it happen. If I know that in XX number of days that I have to have XX amount of dollars or it ain't gonna happen, I am going to do everything I can to accomplish that goal. In addition, if others help me to make it happen, they believe it is a worthwhile endeavor, and I think that could be a good thing.

Given the way I am beginning to formulate this, I don't know that a partial would help that much because what I want to do is have enough money/incentive to be able to focus on 2 things only: My radio Show and My Book. I can't be worried about making money and paying bills. I am not sure yet how much money that entails, but I am working on it.

I am thinking about incentives, too - like T-shirts, free MP3s, free books, free access to me, free prints of Cedonaah work, and...?

Do you have any ideas? Can you help with this in any way? If so, I am all ears.

Part of the reason that this is now making me anxious is because of the timing. You may have noticed 5-15 is part of this blog title. May 15, 2012 was when I found out I had a tumor. I was thinking that May 15, 2013 would be a great day for the fundraising to end. The timing is interesting to me, to say the least.

If I do that, I should probably begin this fundraising venture no later than mid-April, and maybe even the beginning of the month.

Another piece is the fact that I don't really know how I am going to do this. But I am willing to jump in sooner, rather than later...but I am going to need some help!

I am thinking that I need to speak for those who feel they can't. I am thinking I need to talk about the things that people aren't able or willing to talk about. I am thinking that I need to write, even if I don't really have a clue yet how it will come about.

But I would have a really hard time doing it now with everything that I am trying to balance. If I could raise the money, it could really help me do what so many have been asking me to do. It is
interesting, too, because it has come to that. It isn't so much people asking IF I am going to write a book, but asking me WHEN I will.

It seems some of you think it would be a good thing. And it is something I very much would like to do. Am I putting too much pressure on myself?  I don't know. It just doesn't help that there are so many things I am trying to focus on and do - including trying to survive.

If you think you could help me put this together, or if you would be willing to help support me in this venture, I would love to hear from you.

Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment