.http://patreon.com/jolope

.http://patreon.com/jolope
http://patreon.com/jolope

Friday, March 15, 2013

What if...?

What if we don't live in a cause and effect world...
we just think we do?

I know. It's a wild question. And I know it's one
many of those reading this will think I am off for
even considering this possibility.

Oddly this is a question that has been going through my head over and over this morning, and it won't stop. :)

As I think about the question I think about how
many times we, as a society, come to a conclusion
that x causes y only to change it. The most obvious
example of that - for me - is in regard to food.

One minute eggs are good for you. Then they're
bad. No. Good. No. Bad....

Either way that you look at it, there is something in
the egg that is said to cause the goodness or the
"badness." There is a cause at the core.

But the thing is, is there an ultimate cause we haven't
gotten to or is it, perhaps, that we are mistaken that
there is even a cause in the first place.

Why would
I wonder this,
I wonder.

It occurs to me that we as human beings are always
trying to fix, change, manipulate things. To do that
we have a need to figure things out.

As I think about it, many things we have, including
the computer I am typing this on depends on things
acting a certain way when they are put together.
For that reason, there certainly does seem to be a
good case for a world that is full of cause and effect.

But what if there is something more? What if there
is something that we have yet to understand that
would turn everything we know on its head? From
what I think I remember of science, it says that
nothing is solid. However many things do a good
job of faking us out in that regard.

So there already is an illusion about the world we
live in. And because it mostly works for us, we
are happy to keep going and not question it.

It also occurs to me that believing in a cause and
effect world is a way that we can, as humans, feel
empowered. If we know how to make things
happen, we can be at cause. In some ways, it
means the world we live in revolves around us.

It seems to me that the world we live in may have
examples of how that may not be such a good
thing. But that also presupposes that there truly
is a discernable cause.

It would seem that believing in a cause is to believe
in the idea that we can make or break ourselves
and the world all by what we do or don't do.

For as much that seems to be out of our control,
it makes me wonder if we really control the things
we do - or if we just think we do.

And...

I also wonder if what I am speculating on is "true,"
what that would mean, could mean, to us and
the world we live in.

I have often said that whether or not global
warming is "true," we could do a much better
job of being stewards of this place we call
home. Is it possible to just love what we have,
and if so, what would that, what could that,
be like?  Would we do things differently just
because they were coming from a place of
love and respect rather than a place of cause
and effect?

Hmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment