.http://patreon.com/jolope

.http://patreon.com/jolope
http://patreon.com/jolope

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Oh No You Don't...I Am Not Falling for That Again

Early in my diagnosis, many people told me that I should forget about my credit card debt. I wish I could have, but I knew things would be bad enough without making things worse credit-wise. I was able to transfer all of my debt on one credit card with a very low interest rate, and the monthly payment wasn't too bad. But then the year ended, and it went from 4.99 to 13.99. Currently, the monthly payment just pays the interest and little more.

Right before my diagnosis, I was making great strides to get the amount paid down. Another 6-8 months I would have been good. But, apparently, life had other ideas. At one point, a woman was suggested that could help me. Well, the "help" meant giving up all of my credit cards. As much as I need "help," I still knew that I couldn't do that. Credit cards are my buffer zone. I already charged a second card since last year, and it has bought me pretty much a month.

And now, there is this trip. If I had given up my credit and credit cards, there is no way I could have taken this trip. I would have no credit card to rent a car. It would be next to impossible - if not impossible. I am glad I listened to my own inner voice and not the "wiser" voice of others. At least I get my trip.

Today I called the company I owe $13,000+ to. I sounded very stressed. I am two weeks away from them reviewing my interest rate. I was worried that charging things in the next few weeks would be detrimental to me in regard to their review. Nothing they said was particularly helpful, but they could hear my stress, and sounded like they wanted to be helpful. One person told me that I shouldn't be stressed the way I was. She told me there was "a department" that could help me. It might mean not using the card any more, but more money could go to the principle of the debt.

I got to the department, and a disclosure was read about how there was something about "collecting a debt." The person asked me what was going on. I was current, after all. Well, she said, you have to answer some questions and then we will see if you are eligible for this plan. OH NO. I could not get off the phone fast enough.

Up until that point I was smart enough not to say anything specific. I just said that I was stressed making payments. And it was a good thing, too.

There was another time in my life I was having problems, and I was told to call the credit card company for "help." By the time I got done answering the questions, I was told, "I am so sorry for your difficulty, and oh - by the way, we are lowering your amount of available credit."

Well. Thanks for nothing. Thanks for making things worse.

Yes. They want to help. But it's not me they want to help. They set a nice little trap to lull you into thinking they will help, but then all they do is make things worse for you in the process.

I was basically told, too, that if I fit the plan, the account would be closed. No thank you. I need to keep trying to pay that debt as long as I can. Life is hard enough without the difficulties of credit issues.

This is yet another issue that seems so simple to those outside of it. But inside it is a freaking stressful mess. With everything today I was shaking and my heart was pounding. I was paying bills and seeing the last amounts of money dwindling. I really don't know how I am going to make it, especially if I have to come back to that major surgery or chemo.

I told someone that the hole I am digging is going to either require significant outside help, or I was going to have to die. Some people think chemo happens, and then all is right with the world. Well they are partly right: chemo happens. It's kinda like that something else that happens, too.

Contact Me (Elizabeth Alraune)
Read My Story
View My Vlogs
About this (relate to cancer) Blog - Click Here
Read about where things are currently
Would you like to be a guest blogger?

5 comments:

  1. Oh, Elizabeth! To be dealing with this on top of your illness - how stressful for you - I can't even imagine. I hope that things settle down and even out financially, and that you can focus on getting better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been hoping that for a while. Good thoughts contributing to that possibility are certainly welcome.

      Delete
  2. I found myself in a similar situation once. The best thing you can do it cut yourself free of those credit cards. Our family has a "no credit card" rule. We've been this way since 2008 and it's SO much better. I think we've all forgotten that it's important to live within our means and not to spend money that you haven't even earned yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tabitha, maybe you didn't get the part about how I was trying to pay off my debt before all this happened, or the part that cancer happened. Maybe you don't realize that when most people are dealing with cancer, there is no income. Often there is desperation. Some people lose their electricity, their water, and even lose a place to live. I wrote this blog as a way of trying to share a dilemma that is likely shared by many. It is not my intention to dig a bigger hole. It is not my intention to default. I didn't want to use credit cards in the first place, but as a business owner, it was in some part necessary. I have been doing everything I can to do things "right," but the interest is burying me. I also, as it turns out, have to survive. It's too bad the credit card companies don't really want to help me, as it would likely be to their benefit.

      Delete
  3. you are brave enough to fight against these odds. credit cards though are not necessary but sometimes they leave no option but to be used. CC companies are not humans. they are just business minded people.

    ReplyDelete