.http://patreon.com/jolope

.http://patreon.com/jolope
http://patreon.com/jolope

Saturday, December 8, 2012

Chemo Brain (Video)

I thought I would make a video regarding my experience with chemo brain.  It wound up being too long for one youtube video, so I had to split it into 2.  The second video has a bit of an overlap.  If you start around the 20 second mark in part 2, you will be where part 1 leaves off.

As I was posting these videos, I found a talk - in 18 parts - about chemo brain.  I am going to need to go and watch them (just have to remember that I want to do that - too easy for things to just disappear from my mind/memory).  I got up to #3, which talks about the woman's symptoms.  I can relate to what she talks about.  I have included the video here for added perspective, just click here (I couldn't get the embed to work).  If you are interested, you can certainly visit the other videos in her series as well.

I knew there would be things that I would forget to include, and one of them was pretty drastic. There was one time I left home in my car.  I only got a block away, and I had to pull over.  Where was I going?  How was I going to get there?  I had to sit there for a few minutes, until I remembered.  It was just a trip to the post office.  I knew how to get there, but somehow I forgot, on top of forgetting where I was going in the first place.

One other thing I will mention is that the speaker mentions in one of her videos that when she was first approached about chemo, the cognitive issues weren't really brought up/addressed.  She said most women will be more concerned about their hair, when they should be more concerned about what will happen cognitively.  I can relate to that, as well.  I will be very curious to watch her talk, and see what else she has to say.

It seems to me that this topic is under-addressed, and under-understood not only by those affected by it, but perhaps even the medical profession itself.  Boy that doesn't seem right to me, at all.  Are they so busy treating that they aren't taking the time to fully appreciate what is happening?  Why isn't it talked about more?  Especially for someone who makes their living - like me - by their brain, this is something that should be considered - and discussed - and researched - more.




1 comment:

  1. I had no idea about the "chemical brain", it gives me a new insight into the struggles of cancer patients...keep spreading the word Liz!

    ReplyDelete