.http://patreon.com/jolope

.http://patreon.com/jolope
http://patreon.com/jolope

Saturday, June 8, 2013

My First Job & Some Perspective

My first job was working at McDonalds. I worked Saturdays, my Junior year from 7am-5pm. It was exhausting work, and I came back to school smelling just like McDonalds. My friend also worked with me her senior year. This picture was taken on Halloween, when we were "McDonald Girls." Little did I know when the school did a McDonald's "run" when I went to visit (any students that wanted to go would get in a school van and be taken there) that I would one day be working at that location.

One time when I was working a manager claimed I waited on Brooke Shields. To this day I don't know if it was just so dang busy that I missed that, or if it was a look alike, or if it was really her.

The summer between my junior and senior years I continued the job, working many more hours. It was a great summer. I had so much fun hanging out with those I worked with. I had mentioned to the Headmaster's wife that I had gone to a bar with them. She wasn't happy about it. She tried to explain to me that "appearances matter." The fact that I said I didn't drink, didn't matter. She wasn't making any headway with me so she said something about what if she, as a married woman, hung out with one of the male, single teachers, alone.

To here possible frustration and chagrin, I saw no problem with it. If they knew they weren't doing anything wrong, what did it matter what others thought?

Even back then I saw things differently.


No comments:

Post a Comment