.http://patreon.com/jolope

.http://patreon.com/jolope
http://patreon.com/jolope

Sunday, May 26, 2013

Begin Again (From the History Books)


(Anika) Tank Burt did a short film several years ago called Begin Again. This was the postcard from the movie. She had asked me to be her Production Manager, and I did a few lines of voiceover for the film for an unseen character.

Right before I had worked on another film set and hated it. I hated the way I was treated. I hated the way things were handled, and I knew that if I was going to do anything with anyone else, it had to be on better terms - not just theirs.

We worked very well together. It was very difficult to manage all of the facets, given that there wasn't much of a crew. I was Craft Services (food) as well, and I am sure some other things I might have forgotten (perhaps chosen to forget?)

There was one person in particular who rubbed me the wrong way. Anika said she had never seen me so upset! It was someone who was used to working on bigger sets and expected that I would be as other Production Managers were, basically allowing no room for me to mess up in the midst of everything else I was doing. Fortunately everything DID work out.

As I think about it, I remember now, too, that in the process of that film being made I met someone who introduced me to a small 2-person company who was looking for help. I was able to freelance with them for several months. At one point I knew things weren't going well, and I had asked them to please give me some warning if they were going to let me go. 

I left before the break for Labor Day, and they said nothing. I came back in afterward to them giving me the boot. Yet another example in my life of asking people to communicate, and them choosing not to - ultimately affecting me in a major way in the process.

They told me that I could come into the office and do things there if I wanted to. One day I was going to head into the city (NYC) and there was an announcement that the trains weren't going. I called into the office and I found out it was probably better for me not to go in. Apparently a plane had flown into one of the World Trade Towers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment