.http://patreon.com/jolope

.http://patreon.com/jolope
http://patreon.com/jolope

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

More on the BRCA Conversation (& Angelina Jolie)

Yesterday Angelina Jolie announced that she had a full mastectomy based on a BRCA gene test. Previously I talked about my dilemma in regard to what to do about potentially getting the test, and then what to do, if anything, about it. The oncologist's recommendation: if I had the gene, get rid of the breasts. Of course he did not say it that way, but that was one of only few reasons to get the test - the other two: additional screening/monitoring and perhaps to scare myself.

The gene is no guarantee of cancer.

Removal of the breasts is no guarantee of never getting cancer.

I have not yet read Angelina's full statement. I have only read extracted quotes, so I cannot really address what she said or why she did it. But I do not want to. She is not me. She did what she felt was best for her. It seems she shares in the hope that her journey will benefit other women. Regardless of what she intends, or how she intends her message to be taken, there will be people on all sides of the fence making their cases.

As I write, I think I will try to read it at some point, but not to get fodder for a potential argument/case. I think the best part of this announcement are the resulting conversations. I think it is good that we are aware, and talk about as many sides of things as possible.

When I had decisions to make, *I* was the one making them. It was up to me to determine, to the best of my ability (with the available, known info) to do what was best for me. Did I have a full picture? I doubt it. I often wonder if there was something I should have known that could have saved me much of what I went through. But at the point that I was at, I wasn't well physically and just couldn't do more than I did. Plus I felt time was of the essence, given how things were going.

Are we ever able to have the full picture? I know some would say yes. But how could we possibly REALLY know?

When we discussed options, the surgeon told me that the only way we would know if we made the right choice is that I would still be around in 5 years. It kinda makes some sort of sense, but don't know if I agree.

Knowledge can certainly be power.

I just wonder sometimes if what we think we know about one small piece of a bigger puzzle that we do not fully understand is as helpful as we think it is.

I am certain there is more to say...there are lots of conversations to be had around this. In the end, though, I think that the most important thing we should consider is in two parts. The first part is that I think people do the best they can with what they got. The second is that we need to do the best we can to do what feels right to us - despite whether others agree, or what they may think.

I would also suggest that while we may think we know what is best, we should also respect what another believes and chooses. While there may be helpful info in a dissenting opinion, I think the tone may have the potential to do the message a disservice.

**

Want to read what Angelina wrote? (http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/14/opinion/my-medical-choice.html?hp&_r=2&)

There are dissenting opinions regarding Angelina's choice, and if you would like to know what a couple of them are, you can visit
http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/did-angelina-jolie-make-mistake-acting-breast-cancer-gene-theory

http://www.naturalnews.com/040334_Angelina_Jolie_double_mastectomy_breast_cancer_prevention.html

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-healing-factor/201305/angelina-jolie-missed-important-opportunity

(interesting points and info included in these links)


No comments:

Post a Comment