.http://patreon.com/jolope

.http://patreon.com/jolope
http://patreon.com/jolope

Saturday, May 25, 2013

Day 2: Project Liza

Based on my 30 Days 30 Causes 30 Dollars blog entry I went looking for my Day 2 $1 donation opportunity, and found Project Liza.

I have to admit, her name is a great one. But besides that, she has "a liitle friend" that is a brain tumor. As tough as my situation has been, I cannot imagine what that would feel like.

It isn't easy reading about these people's situations. But in some ways, it may be a bit easier - and a bit more difficult - because I can identify with pieces of their situations and dilemmas and concerns. The more we are exposed to something, the more familiar we are with it, and the more comfortable we in some ways become with it.

It is one of the great reasons why I feel it is important for me to talk. To share. Maybe it will encourage others, and ultimately be of greater help to us as a society. The discomfort people feel around illness I believe weakens who we are as a society and culture.

It is also difficult for me on one level because I see the level of help they are receiving as compared to me. It is hard to be this honest, but I feel like it is important for me to flesh my feelings out. I have to wonder if sometimes people might not give another for that reason. Another gets, but not me?

It feels odd to give someone who has more than I do. Some might even call it folly. But, as I have said, this is about a much bigger picture. Whether or not someone else has more, who am I to judge their need? If she says she has a need, then that should be good enough. I am not her. I can't possibly know what it is like to be her. And I am sure that for her, just like me, every dollar counts.

I can already tell this experience is going to be quite a lesson for me.

If you know of any people in need, please let me know. I will be posting about them here as well as at DollarDifference.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment