.http://patreon.com/jolope

.http://patreon.com/jolope
http://patreon.com/jolope

Monday, May 27, 2013

Day 4: Rico Relief Effort

Based on my 30 Days 30 Causes 30 Dollars blog entry I went looking for my Day 4 $1 donation opportunity, and found Rico Relief Effort.

Rico Walder is dealing with brain cancer, and is about a third of the way to his goal. One thing that was said in an update was

"He still needs your help! This charity will soon be coming to an end and I want to make sure Rico has enough funds to continue with his medical treatment and to support himself and his business." 

In my experience of dealing with cancer, I can say he will be a very fortunate man to get what he needs to help him. It is incredibly difficult to manage a business and an illness. I was fortunate enough to get through treatment, but I had to start working almost as soon as it was over.

Physically it was (and still is) challenging. If you have never had treatment, let me tell you - it is not easy to do. There has to be healing from the treatment that is almost harder than the treatment itself. And I am not sure that the pressure is helping my physically, either.

I don't think many people realize how difficult it really is. So many have expected me to be who I was before treatment. Many expect me to be as anyone would be, normally. It is part of the reason I feel I need to talk about this stuff. I hate - in some ways - to have to keep repeating myself to new people. It almost makes me feel defensive. I should be able to handle things, shouldn't I? I can see why many wouldn't do anything, or be concerned about addressing it with others. It is, among other things, incredibly awkward.

Something else I noticed today, which I have noticed other days, but haven't yet addressed is that if someone who is asking for help is from a public event/disaster, I skip over them. Why? Because I feel that many are going to go to them and help them first before helping someone else with a more "every day" kind of need. Some people will only help in an extreme situation like that, too.

So even with my $1, I have been discriminating. Imagine what it is like for someone who has a lot more to spend? How do they decide how much is going to whom? I imagine that the things that people relate to are precipitating factors. Currently I am focusing on GiveForward.com because I can give a $1, but I wouldn't mind helping elsewhere. I am sure there are many who are trying to launch a project, a product and/or get a business going who are just as much in need.  I may check out IndieGoGo and see if I can give $1 there.

If you know of any people in need, please let me know. I will be posting about them here as well as at DollarDifference.com. I am behind over there...the things I set out to do so often don't get done these days. It is really hard to reach to do something, but not be able. In a way, I would say it is good. It gives me something to aspire to. But in another way it frustrates a bit, as I so often don't meet the desired outcome.

But I am trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment