.http://patreon.com/jolope

.http://patreon.com/jolope
http://patreon.com/jolope

Thursday, May 2, 2013

Pet Scans and False Positives

The calm before the storm
Taken yesterday morning
Someone wrote me that her oncologist is not a big fan of pet scans as they often give false results. So I went looking for info. Apparently the rate of false positives in regard to breast cancer is fairly high, but if I look specifically for ovarian cancer, it doesn't seem to apply anywhere near as much. Of course, there is some incidence of it happening, and I wouldn't mind me falling into that category.

One case that I found was that of a woman who had breast cancer. She said she had some spots in one place that were gone on her next scan. 

I had asked the question about what the difference was between a "hot spot" and a "neoplasm cannot be excluded" which I got in a scan last year, and never really got an answer. At least not one that I feel specifically answered my question. In the case of the neoplasm comment, the spots were gone by the next scan, and I had also had been having more chemo treatments during that time. I really don't know if the two were related.

I just can't seem to shake the variance of reaction between the surgeon and oncologist. One a lot calmer about it all and making me feel like it could be no big deal, the other acting with a great deal of certainty that my scan is likely to mean a recurrence. 

This sucks, really.

However, I am once again asking for anyone who didn't see my previous blog to please imagine helping me rid myself of those hot spots. Imagine it any way you are most comfortable/see fit. I will be doing the same. And provided the next test tells me there is nothing to worry about I am not going to care how I got there. 

I will just be relieved and happy to know that that is where I am.

I would love nothing more than to report back that this was all just one big scare.

No comments:

Post a Comment