.http://patreon.com/jolope

.http://patreon.com/jolope
http://patreon.com/jolope

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Day 6: I Want to Lichtenstein You!


Based on my 30 Days 30 Causes 30 Dollars blog entry I went looking for my Day 6 $1 donation opportunity, and found Will Lund: I Want to Lichtenstein You!

Will is a graphic artist. He had a project in which he took photographs and remade them in the style of the artist Roy Lichtenstein. Once the project was completed, he kept going.

If you look at his Facebook page - Lichtenstein You - he has done many at this point. He put up a fundraising page in case some might want to thank him for the work that he seems to do a lot of for free.

It is unclear to me (and really none of my business) how much he manages to make off of his work. I would hope that he does make something. It is really hard to always give away things for free. Yes; they can serve another purpose, but we all have bills to pay and things that require that we make some sort of money and make a living.

Even though the "campaign" has run since January, there is very little activity on the Fundrazr page.

I chose him because I can relate to a desire to do and at the same time figure out how to make a living in the process. I also chose him because I admire his work. I think it is fabulous. I also chose him because I wanted to highlight how difficult it can be for some in the world we live in to make a living because so many want something for free and are unwilling to even donate when asked.

Once again, I want to point out that if each and every person he spent 3-4 hours on creating his work even contributed a $1, he would likely have a significant amount of money. I don't know about you, but acknowledging something you value - something that involved someone's time and effort - seems like it would be a steal, especially at the name your own price of a whopping $1.

What if part of the problem we have fiscally now has something to do with many walking around not valuing the things and people they interact with? If everything is free, no one can make a living. Our society is based on the idea that things have value and we express our understanding of that when we trade something of value for something of value that someone else has.

I am not sure it is about the money, exactly. After all, money is a conduit. I don't know what the answer is. I am just really good at asking questions.

I could also totally be making up what I think his reality is - based on mine. Either way, I think it serves a point.

If you know of any people in need, please let me know. I will be posting about them here as well as at DollarDifference.com. Still am behind over there...I'll manage to catch up, eventually, or change my mind.

Guess time will tell which.

No comments:

Post a Comment