.http://patreon.com/jolope

.http://patreon.com/jolope
http://patreon.com/jolope

Thursday, February 14, 2013

The Next 30 Years 30 Days at a Time?

Today I was Stumbling, and came across this article about challenging yourself over the next 30 days. On the page, the writer had this short TED video.



As someone who has had great difficulty getting through the next 30 hours (even 30 minutes at times), it is interesting to see things like this. I think it is a great way to eat the elephant one bite at a time - especially if there is something that you really want.

I think the challenge is to balance the moment in which we live within the lifetime that we live. Tim McGraw talks about his "next 30 years" in the song below.


I remember listening to this song during treatment, wondering if I had another 30 years to go, wondering how many I had left, wondering if I had even a year left. I also found myself wondering how many assume that they have time that may not be scheduled on their life's calendar.

I don't say this to sound morbid - even though I probably do. I say it because I think we have to do whatever works for us in the next 30 seconds, 30 minutes, 30 hours, 30 days, and 30 years. And doing what is best now really might not really seem to suit the 30 year marker. 

I found the list of things interesting on that blog, too. The author rates how easy or difficult the suggestions are. I couldn't help but think that one person's ease is another person's OMG, no way.
Living in a culture of "the fix" articles like this will be written, and people will find solutions in them. I tend to think that the best solutions are the ones that we pick for ourselves, which may include other people's input.

I seriously doubt there is much most people haven't heard at one time or another or haven't tried at one time or another, especially when they are looking for a solution to a particular problem. I know I have tried many things to lose weight, only to gain it back, to try something else.

When we only interact with behaviors, we can often "fail" at what we are trying to do. There is a reason we do things the say we do, and that reason is going to often be in the driver's seat. Then, when we fail, a whole number of other things happen, and we may not be that kind to ourselves as a result.

Right now my life is a mess. I can treat the symptoms - the chaos - but I will still likely wind up with a mess. There is something more going on. Interestingly, while "A" was more in my life, I think it was a tinge less messy. For that reason, I think the mess is a way of comforting me, and having me feel like I am not alone.

i would have to really work on seeing what I can discover about that to really make a difference. The thing about things like this is that if only logic was involved, solutions would be present right then and there. Logically what I said seems to make sense. 

But now what?

Recognizing something is only a part. 

What does one do with the recognition? 

What will I do with it? I really don't think this is the first time I have had a thought along these lines, but it has been too much of a comfort to change. Part of that is that if that is indeed where my unconscious is going with it, cleaning up and clearing out will have me again feeling alone, and it wants to protect me from that.

I know I am not alone. I say it, but I don't say it emphatically. I say it with reserve and caution because I am focused on those in my life that can come and go. And in my life many have come and gone. It is one of those things about my life - besides moving - that seems to be fairly constant.

But I know that by focusing on others, I will always likely feel alone. There is no one I can truly trust to be there for me, but me. Maybe my life is in part an exercise in loving and supporting myself. Kinda ironic, given that I am in a position of having to ask others for help. But in some way, taking care of me means doing what I need to do to take care of me, and if that means that I need to ask for help, then that is what I need to do.

So what does this have to do with the 30 days/30 years topic? I am not sure. It is a tangent I had no idea I was going to go off on. Rarely do I ever know what I am going to write as I begin my blogs. I may have some idea, but as you may be able to tell, it may have some ideas of its own.

If I had to guess, I would say ideas that give us inspiration in the moment are good, but perhaps it is the deeper parts of life that are even greater. It is easy to get caught up in the stuff of life. It is easy to focus on others and other things, but not so easy to focus on what is within. It is easy to focus on what others say is the right and best thing for us. And when there is lots of focus without, there are lots of distractions to keep us away from some of the things that really, truly matter - which could include what really, truly is the best thing for us.

I am really beginning to think that many of the "world's" answers lie within us.  I am beginning to believe that many of the answers lie within us getting in touch with ourselves, and that inner voice. I am beginning to think that many of the problems we experience in the world are things that get caught in a net of other people's beliefs and resulting demands. I am beginning to believe that we know more than we think we do, and that we have to stop turning to others for answers.

I say this, as I am all too aware of my own dependence on focusing away from myself. It has been said that we teach what we most need to learn. 

I think it certainly fits in this case.

I am sitting here, looking at the mess that surrounds me, wondering where I can start. I really do want to get rid of things. I really do want to clear out. I keep thinking I should take a few days away from "work" and focus on clearing out the space in which I live. A couple of days won't be enough, but it certainly would be a start.

And no matter how you time anything...it has to begin with 1. Which is almost an I, if you think about it. What if that is where everything begins with the I, that is one. Interesting how in Roman Numerals, one does look like an I. Did they see what I saw in that? It would be interesting to know, and know if it might have been in some way intentional.

The thought of that is kind of exciting, actually. 
Even if it is not intentional, 
the synchronicity of it is kinda cool.

And...if you just take one of anything at a time, you are accumulating a bunch of ones, really. With that line of thinking, it makes me present in each one. And you know what they say about how the "present" is a gift? That makes me a present to each one of whatever it is that I am counting/aware of.

Hmmm...

Wheels, they go round.

No comments:

Post a Comment