.http://patreon.com/jolope

.http://patreon.com/jolope
http://patreon.com/jolope

Friday, February 1, 2013

Do we need statistics?

When I think about doing talks about cancer, I wonder
what statistics I should quote.  For the one talk I already
did, I had a few lined up to mention, and I think I only
mentioned one.

Why?

Because statistics scare the bejesus out of me - and perhaps
unnecessarily.  Are they really that important?  Statistics
are quoted all of the time about different things health-wise,
and people still do what they do.

Do statistics really matter?  Ask a person who has lost
someone due to cancer if they care about a cancer
statistic, and I am guessing most would mostly
care about one piece of that statistic - their loved one.

As I write, I am acutely aware of the fact that for some,
numbers and odds are everything and I don't want to
discount that because it is important to them.  I also don't
want to discount the times it may be beneficial to know
something a statistic says.

At the same time, I think I am in the process of deciding
something for myself, my process and my talks.  I think
I am going to leave the bulk of the statistical info research
up to those I speak to.  They (and you) can research to
your heart's content.  There is even a site cancer.gov/statistics
that probably has all that you need.  I don't really know,
though, because I have no interest in finding out anything
in that regard at the moment.

Statistics are a composite, but there is only one me and
only one you. You can't know an individual's soul in a
statistic.  You can't know their heart.  You can't know
their dreams, their frustrations and challenges, their
tears.  For me, this journey is more about the person
behind the statistic, rather than the statistic itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment